“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Splendid outdoors

I woke up with a bit of a sore throat this morning, it's not anything too bad, but many of the kids are sick too. It was a good morning of preparing lessons and gym classes. The first grade students have been learning the parts of the body in class and today they each drew their own "cuerpo" (body). It was good for me to see each of their drawings and gain a better understanding what they understand and the schemas they have. Sometimes things seem obvious, but only because I learned about it at one point in time. For example, one little girl drew three fingers on each of her hands and it wasn't until I sat down next to her desk and counted each of the fingers on her hand that she realized each of the hands has five fingers, not three. With the littlest group we went on another walk! They seriously enjoy exploring nature, which is exciting for me to watch them explore and be a part of asking them questions. On our adventure some of them pulled up long weeds, put them over their shoulders and drug them along behind them as if it were a pet. Lunch consisted of a ground beef with broccoli, green beans, onion, carrots, and green pepper over rice, it was really good. In English class today the girls did a nice job and my newest
Diana is my newest student!
student was able to pick up on a couple of new things too! I am blessed to work with these girls, they are pretty quiet most days, but I know they are anxious to learn and try SO hard. After school library was pretty slow, because there weren't very many kiddos checking out books. Then I got to chat with some Cobbers as I went up to the house to figure out plans for the evening, it is wonderful getting to hear about how they are experiencing Ecuador! In after school enrichment the kids were busy doing all different things, but I was with the group drawing. It was rather fun I might add, because I enjoy drawing and these kids do too. I walked home in a downpour and enjoyed every step in the rain. There were streams forming on the gravel road from the orphanage to the bridge and I could hear the actual stream loudly running! I have really learned to embrace the rain since living here, don't get me wrong I used to enjoy a nice rainy day to curl up and watch a movie, but I actually appreciate the rain in a new way now. When I got home I put on dry clothes, curled up, and took a nap! Then it was time to celebrate Paola's birthday with Rick and Rebekah. They take all of the kids in fourth grade and up out for supper around their birthday and I get to join them. We went to a tiny restaurant serving fried chicken and french fries. On the way there Paola was telling us crazy stories about some of her experiences with wildlife, such as pumas and snakes, in her home town. When we arrived at the restaurant we ordered our food and played a game until it arrived. When the food arrived the wait was worth it, the breading on the chicken breast was delicious and the fries were good especially when I covered them in mayo. I have no idea what it is, but the restaurants put something greenish in the mayo here and I really enjoy it a lot. There have been a few times now that I have wondered if I would you like some fries with my mayo...but it is that good! Paola and I walked arm in arm to the Coliseo for dance class when all of us were done eating, but discovered there was no dance for an unknown reason (it happens fairly often), so we continued back to the orphanage arm in arm without saying much. I spent the walk praying for her and thanking God for the kind, quiet, yet spunky girl that she is. She is a very level headed and loving young lady, I am ineffably thankful to have her in my class! I heard frogs croaking and many different sounds of the splendid outdoors on the walk and was so filled with peace and excitement for her, I know God will do great things in her life. When we arrived back at the house I was a bit surprised to find the older girls were not there since there had been no dance. The Tia was convinced there was dance even though Paola and I had just been there and nothing was going on, so I decided it would be best to just go back to the Coliseo and figure it out for myself. When I saw the night guard from Casa de Fe approaching the house he scared me at first, but when I was able to see who it was he very generously offered to walked me down the hill since it had gotten dark. I went back to the gym and saw the arranged taxi driver sitting outside, I asked him if he was waiting for the Casa de Fe girls and he was. After I asked around and found out they were at the park we went over there, rounded them up, and took them back to the house. Then it was time for Cheralyn and I to run some errands before heading back to our house to prepare food for the pot luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment