“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Friday, June 21, 2013

Lord’s purpose prevails

Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the World)!
Since I went to bed so early I was more than ready to get up at six. I got all ready and lounged around for a while before going to the Alliance Academy. Megan is a kindergarten teacher there and I got to visit her school and classroom. It was the last day of school, so she had already been cleaning out her room, but it was still adorable! It was fun seeing and looking around this school I have heard so much about, I also got to see Kat and Mandi (two of the girls that stayed with me over Easter)! It was great running in to them and briefly saying hello. When it was time for school to start I headed out, stopped back at the house, then went to the bus stop. It was time to be a tourist and go to the Mitad del Mundo which required an adventure on the city bus. Megan and her husband told us where to get on the bus, so we hopped on and transferred at the end of the line. The bus we got on had a big label with where it was heading, so we new we were going to the right place 
View from the top of the monument.
and next thing I knew we were at the Mitad del Mundo! The original "Middle of the World" was slightly off the actual equator, according to GPS calculations the real equator is 240 meters North of the 0° 0′ 0″ line at the Mitad del Mundo. Construction of the 30-meter-tall monument was completed in 1982 and replaced a smaller monument that was built by Government of Ecuador in 1936. This tall monument with a globe on the top of it is seen on many postcards and is a popular tourists. There is a little city that is part of the attraction, it is full of different souvenirs. Inside the monument I checked out the museum on my walk up, it has history about the different regions, tribes, and groups in Ecuador. Standing on the top of the monument was a very nice view of the city, I could see mountains in the distance and tons of houses for miles around! Next on the agenda was venturing to the
Intiñan Solar Museum's equator!
nearby Intiñan Solar Museum. At this site there was a guided tour about the Shuar head shrinking, a tomb, sun dial (they explained why the time was a little bit "off" because of the leap year),did a water experiment (at the equator water goes straight down, but in the Northern hemisphere counter-clockwise and Southern hemisphere clockwise). Mom, I am pleased to tell you I did in fact balance an egg on the head of a nail and even go a certificate for it! After all the sightseeing I needed for one day Jocelyn and I walked to the spot we got off the bus and waited for a blue bus like the one we had gotten on before. As we got in to the city we noticed it was a different way and this one seemed to be taking us around the city...at this point I started to panic a little bit. I was incredibly thankful to be able to borrow somebodies map and look at where we needed to go! With the help of the bus driver, we ended up just needing to transfer once and got back to Megan's house with no problems. I thank God for faithfully getting us back, because it is a big city and not much room for error. When we arrived home from the adventure there was some time to rest, run an errand, and eat supper before leaving for the airport at 7. Jocelyn and I hung out at the old airport which is now a bus stop for a shuttle to the new airport. We left at eight and it took about an hour to get there, so there was plenty of time until my flight left. The line to get checked in was taking forever, and they rerouted me to get home later
My egg balanced on the nail!
because my first flight was delayed, it was not fun but the lady was very helpful. It is going to be an even longer day of travel than I thought, but everything happens for a reason. When my flight out of Chicago was delayed too I was a little bit flustered, I was tired of traveling and ready to be home. Although it didn't go quite as planned, I thank God for the safe journey home. Proverbs 19:21, "Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails." God had a purpose and plan for every delay and obstacle on the journey home, I thank Him for the opportunity to trust Him more!

No comments:

Post a Comment