“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Thursday, June 12, 2014

Carry your cross

Time well spent with this little beauty while the power was out!
I started my day of by standing on my roof, looking at the jungle with mountains in the background, and listening to all the critter sounds. The music within nature is truly something glorious! After a warm walk to work I did my usual rounds of greeting the Tias. It wasn't until I got upstairs and saw all the missionaries waiting that I realized the electricity was out! I wondered now what? So much of what we do requires electricity, seriously initially I couldn't think of any work I could do that didn't require it! I hung around for a little bit while I was waiting for a job, and was helping burned the fringy ends of safety rope key chains, apparently it was a fire kind of day, because my next job was baking. I was given the task to back the playdough-like necklaces the kids made at school and I gladly accepted. I got to use the gas stove to bake them and the first three trays turned out great, I put in the next three and one of them did not turn out so well. I scorched all of the playdough on a try, it was fried to a crisp. Though the other two turned out well the biggest tray was totally ruined. When the electricity is out there is always my favorite job as an option, playing with the toddlers! They are a hoot to be around and it is always priceless to be out on the playground playing with them. For lunch I was planning on going home, but needed to wait at Alexander's and decided to stay and I'm sure glad I did. Lunch with the Martin's and Kelcy was a huge blessing! Upon returning to Casa de Fe I, with the help of the missionary kids, added string to the colorful necklace pendants! As I was pondering life on my way home I couldn't stop thinking about the changes we face throughout life. Every day life presents us with changes, both big and small, but all of them help shape who we are. I continued my thoughts where I started my day, back on the rooftop. It was really powerful for me to reflect on the life changes the Lord has brought me through. In honor of the opening day of the World Cup 2014, I reflected back to the last FIFA soccer festivities four years ago. I had just undergone reconstructive surgery on my ACL and was beginning the slow road to recovery. Looking back I am thankful for all of the physical and emotional strains I experienced that summer, because He drew me closer to Himself. It was not easy, in fact, it was one of the most difficult few months of my life, but I grew in beautiful ways! "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?" -Mark 8:34-36. I received this in a daily devotion this morning and some of the other context Kyle mentioned spoke to my heart as well, "The cross that the Lord calls each of us to carry has various shapes. We may have to openly confess Jesus before those who do not want to be reminded of Him or His good news. And we may be called to walk through this fallen world with a bright smile on our face while our heart is breaking. Jesus is never as near to us as when we lift our cross, lay it submissively on our own shoulders, and welcome it with a patient and uncomplaining spirit. He draws us close in order to mature us, deepen our peace, and increase our courage. He does all this so that through the very experience that is so painful and distressing to us, we will be of greater service to others". God is good and speaks to our hearts in beautiful ways, He guides us through the mountains and the valley to reveal more of His perfect love and plan for our lives. Supper and an evening of fellowship was a great way to end a day of reflecting on life experiences, people, and places that have changed my life and helped make me who I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment